1. What training opportunities are there regarding training in VDA 6.3 as a process auditor?
There is a standard four-day training course for the initial qualification of both internal and external (supplier) auditors:
07-010 "VDA 6.3 – Qualification for Process Auditor" (ID 315)
Following attendance and success in the knowledge test a Certificate of Qualification is issued, which serves as technical evidence of the auditor qualification. (Book 6.3 Page 19 following p.)
Auditors carrying out audits for other organisations as external service providers also require a VDA 6.3 Certificate. (Book 6.3 Page 21 following p.) Apart from this there are also some customer-specific requirements which extend beyond the requirements set out in the VDA 6.3 publication. In such cases an original VDA 6.3 Certificate is demanded as technical evidence - for internal process auditors, for example.
This certificate can be applied for, based on the following activity:
07-040 "VDA 6.3 – Examination Day for Certified Process Auditor" (ID 353)'
After success in the examination (70 % correct answered questions) a certificate is issued with a registered number, together with an associated auditor card. These serve as technical evidence of the auditor qualification.
The certificate remains valid for three years from the date of examination. Before the certificate expires an application for an extension must be submitted in order to obtain a new certificate, which will again be valid for three (3) years. Details are set out in FAQs 17 to 20.
It is also possible to combine the training and the examination day in one single unit – that means in a course of five days:
07-060 "VDA 6.3 – Qualification as Process Auditor – One-Week Training" (ID 321)
Here again, after success in the examination (70 % correct answered questions) a certificate is issued with a registered number, together with an associated auditor card. These serve as technical evidence of the auditor qualification.
Updating from VDA 6.3 (2010) to VDA 6.3 (2016)
The VDA 6.3 volume was revised in 2016 and because of this a transition period has been established, expired on 30th June 2018. During this period all existing VDA 6.3 process auditors have had the opportunity to bring their status to the current level in one day:
No longer bookable "VDA 6.3 – Upgrade Training: from VDA 6.3 (2010) to VDA 6.3 (2016)" (ID 333)
Following attendance and success in the knowledge test a certificate of qualification was issued. In combination with the technical evidence already issued - the VDA 6.3 (2010) Certificate or Certificate of Qualification VDA 6.3 (2010) Module BII ("Product life cycle") - the qualification was regarded as updated. A new VDA 6.3 (2016) Certificate needed then not be applied for until the expiry date of the existing VDA 6.3 (2010) was reached.
For process auditors who did not attend the one-day VDA 6.3 Upgrade Training by 30th June 2018 it was still possible to update their VDA 6.3 (2010) qualification. This required attendance at the following two-day training course:
No longer bookable "VDA 6.3 – Competence Training for Certified Process Auditors" (341 old)
New requirements for the qualification VDA 6.3 (2016) from 2020 on
The start of the revised volume VDA 6.3 (2016) and the associated qualification of process auditor VDA 6.3 (2016) marked the third year in 2020. This means that the first VDA 6.3 (2016) certificates have neared towards the end of their validity, as the validity cycle for VDA 6.3 certificates from the VDA QMC extends over three years. To maintain the VDA 6.3 qualification (2016), new requirements have been placed on the existing process auditors VDA 6.3.
The training and professional development of the VDA QMC has carried out a worldwide market study of the automotive industry within the framework of these considerations in order to receive direct feedback from the industry about the competence of the process auditors VDA 6.3 in the field. One conclusion of this study is that the automotive core tools, that means the automotive quality methods and tools are used inadequately.
For this reason and parallel to the expiry of the first certificates VDA 6.3 (2016), the requirements for both maintenance and initial qualification (examination) of process auditors VDA 6.3 (2016) were adjusted and the subject of automotive core tools was included. You can find details on this in FAQ No. 17 to 20.
However, the process for existing process auditors VDA 6.3 (2010) to update their qualifications to the revised version VDA 6.3 (2016) also ended. Process auditors VDA 6.3 (2010) must therefore completely re-qualify in order to receive a new certificate VDA 6.3 (2016). You can find details on this in FAQ No. 17 to 20.
2. How is permission obtained to take the VDA 6.3 examination?
Permission to attend the VDA 6.3 examination day is issued following a successful check on the request submitted. TopQM-Systems customers can download the Request with the following, link:
» To download the application (Word Document)
The completed application can be sent to email@example.com.
3. Is it possible to take the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam if you do not (yet) meet the requirements?
No, it is only possible to take the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam if the application has been approved by TopQM-Systems.
Our team is at your disposal for this purpose.
4. What requirements apply for permission to take the VDA 6.3 examination?
5. What auditor qualification is recognized for permission to take the VDA 6.3 examination?
Auditor training according to ISO 9001, ISO/TS or IATF 16949, IRCA o. EOQ auditor etc. are accepted as an auditor qualification according to VDA 6.3.
Generally, a training course of at least three days must have been completed, regardless of the training provider.
6. Can evidence of audits which have been carried out take the place of the auditor qualification required?
No. Audits which have been carried out do not replace any auditor qualification to DIN EN ISO 19011.
7. How can expertise in automotive core tools be proven?
The training 02-470 "Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors" [ID 417] (and the VDA qualification "Automotive Core Tools Professional" ID 415 and 416 and possibly 450) are recognized. Alternatively, evidence of a minimum two-day training about Automotive Core Tools by another training provider as well as the passing of an Automotive Core Tools online quiz is required. If the quiz is not passed, the 02-470 "Auto-motive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors" course (ID 417) must be completed.
8. How to access the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz?
The VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools online quiz is available to all customers on the VDA QMC website:
» To the VDA QMC Online Quiz
After successful completion of the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz, it is possible to download a PDF document as proof. When submitting your application for admission to the exam, you can simply submit the confirmation certificate obtained from the online quiz.
9. How does the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools online quiz work?
10. What is the best way to prepare for the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz?
It is strongly advised not to take the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools online quiz without prior preparation. Interested parties should take a look at the individual core tools of the VDA and AIAG as well as the harmonized VDA-AIAG-FMEA before registering for the online quiz.
Using the following overview, auditors can determine where they may need to be updated:
Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Special Characteristics
AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook and VDA Volume Special Characteristics
11. How often can the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz be repeated?
The VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz may only be taken once, that means that no repetition is permitted.
12. What to do if the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz is not passed?
If the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz is not passed, but the corresponding proof of the specialist knowledge of the Automotive Core Tools is needed for the approval or maintenance of the qualification VDA 6.3 (2016), the training 02-470 “Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors” (ID 417) must be completed.
13. Is it possible to register again for the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz?
14. Why does the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools online quiz have to be passed in addition to at least two days of training in automotive-specific tools?
By offering the Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz through VDA QMC and its license partners, prospective or existing auditors VDA 6.3 (2016) can check and confirm their Automotive Core Tools expertise. Thanks to the standardization of this query, the certificate of success for the VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz is valid worldwide as official evidence for the auditor, to in this subject area at the state of the art. This new quality feature gives the VDA 6.3 (2016) certificate a higher level than before and thus the certificate holders also have an even better reputation in the automotive supply chain.
15. Why does a VDA QMC Automotive Core Tools Online Quiz have to be proven and at least two days of training in automotive-specific tools?
According to DIN EN ISO 19011, chapter 7.6, auditors are encouraged to continuously improve their competence, i. e. by participating in training. Due to the fact that the VDA QMC requires two days of training in the area of automotive core tools, existing and prospective process auditors VDA 6.3 (2016) meet this requirement.
16. Is it possible to apply to take a VDA 6.3 (2016) examination without evidence of five years' professional experience?
From three years of professional experience (preferably in manufacturing companies in the automotive industry), company training periods can be considered.
Company apprenticeships are counted toward the candidate's professional experience at a rate of 50%, and only for candidates who have completed a dual course of apprenticeship/study in a technical profession at the production company.
Company internships, time as a student trainee, etc. during the course of academic Bachelor's or Master's study programs cannot be counted toward a candidate's professional experience.
In principle, it is only possible to take the exam if all requirements have been met and the application for the examination has been approved by TopQM-Systems (see FAQ 3)
17. How can the VDA 6.3 Certificate be extended?
An extension of a Certificate is always issued following a successful check on the request. TopQM-Systems customers can download their application via the following link:
18. What evidence must be submitted to obtain an extension to a VDA 6.3 Certificate?
1. Proof of the validity period:
- Copy of the current Certificate VDA 6.3 (2016) and / ore
- Copy of the current auditor card
2. Proof of auditing experience *)
- At least 5 (five) process audits and/or
- potential analysis (at least 10 audit days) as responsible auditor in the period of validity of the qualification. Internal as external process audits are accepted as well.
- Certificate of attendance of 07-050 “VDA 6.3 – Workshop for certified process auditors” (ID 341)
*) If evidence of the required audit experience cannot be provided, the qualification can be extended only by attendance at a 07-050 “VDA 6.3 – Workshop for certified process auditors” (ID 341)
3. Proof of knowledge of the Automotive Core Tools
- Certificate of qualification of 02-470 “Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors” (ID 417) or
- Certificate of attendance / certificate of VDA qualification “Automotive Core Tools Professional” (ID 415, 416 and possibly ID 450) or
- Proof of passed Online Quiz “Automotive Core Tools” **)
**) If the quiz is not passed, the training 02-470 ”Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors” (ID 417) must be completed.
19. What is the cost of an extension of the Certificate?
The costs for the VDA QMC are currently € 160 plus VAT
20. What happens if a request for an extension to the VDA 6.3 Certificate is not submitted in time?
An extension can still be requested up to three months after the certificate expires. After the renewal has been granted, the new certificate is valid for a further three years from the expiry date of the old certificate.
If the certificate has expired for more than three months, in addition to fulfilling the maintenance requirements (proof of audit experience and specialist knowledge of the automotive core tools, see FAQ No. 17), the VDA 6.3 (2016) test must be taken again.
After the criteria for renewing the certificate have been met and the new exam has been passed, the new certificate is valid for three years from the date of the exam.
21. The knowledge test of the training "Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors" (ID 417) was not passed. Is admission to the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam still possible?
In order to be admitted to the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam, the qualification certificate of the "Automotive Core Tools for System and Process Auditors" training is required. This means that the knowledge test has to be passed before approval to the VDA 6.3 examination, otherwise, it has to be repeated.
22. Are VDA 6.3 trainings also held in English?
Yes, TopQM-Systems offers VDA QMC seminars in English. Our team will gladly help you with your questions.
» Request to firstname.lastname@example.org
23. If the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam was failed in the past, that means before the new requirements were introduced at the beginning of 2020, is it necessary to meet the new requirements before retaking the exam?
No, once an admission to the VDA 6.3 (2016) examination has been granted, it will remain effectively until the examination is passed or until the VDA volume 6.3 has been revised again.
24. How often is it possible to retake the VDA 6.3 (2016) exam again?
The VDA 6.3 (2016) exam may be repeated as often as required. After the third attempt, however, we recommend taking the training "VDA 6.3 - Qualification as a Process Auditor" again.
25. What happens if an applicant was unable to attend the VDA 6.3 Upgrade Training or the VDA 6.3 Competence Training? How can he/she qualify regarding the contents of the new VDA 6.3 (2016)?
If the applicant has failed to attend the VDA 6.3 upgrade training or the VDA 6.3 competence training, he/she must complete the qualification as a Process Auditor VDA 6.3 (2016) from scratch (see FAQ No. 1).
26. How can I maintain my VDA QMC auditor qualification with regard to COVID-19 (proof of audit quantity)?
Special regulation COVID-19 to maintain the validity of auditor certificates by VDA QMC and license partners with an expiry date until December 31, 2020